Public law is that part of law which governs relationships between individuals and the government, and those relationships between individuals which are of direct concern to society.
Human Rights Law
Human rights law is the body of international law designed to promote and protect human rights at the international, regional, and domestic levels.
International law is the set of rules generally regarded and accepted as binding in relations between states and between nations. It serves as a framework for the practice of stable and organized international relations.
- 26JunThe case was heard in the Supreme Court on Wednesday 24 and Thursday 25 June 2015. The facts: our client is a 19-year-old Zambian national who has lived in the UK since she was six....26JunBroadcast on Thursday 25th June 2015.
- 22JunPress for PIL’s case on young people’s eligibility for student finance PIL is bringing a test case to challenge the government’s refusal to allow young people with discretionary or limited leave to remain access to...18JunEditorial Paul Heron from Public Interest Lawyers has been in touch with regard to gaining national information on the failure of the DCMS to properly investigate and respond to cuts to public libraries. The full...
- 21AprAdam Wagner, supported by many other volunteers, has launched the Rights Info project this week. The site is designed to spread information about Human Rights through social media, to improve public understanding. Its use of the...
- 29MarIn his first interview since the Al-Sweady Inquiry final report, Phil Shiner says he has nothing to apologise for, and accuses government critics of putting his life at risk. Catherine Baksi reports … The solicitor...17MarPRESS RELEASE 17 March 2015 High Court Rules on Reach of ECHR in Iraq For immediate release The High Court has today given judgment in a landmark ruling about all of the judicial review cases...
- 17MarNeutral Citation Number:  EWHC 715 (Admin) Case Nos: CO/5608/2008; CO/8695/2009; CO/6345/2008; CO/9925/2008; CO/11858/2009; CO/11442/2008; CO/953/2009; CO/9719/2009; CO/12803/2009; CO/1684/2010; CO/2631/2010, C8620/2010 IN THE HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE QUEEN’S BENCH DIVISION ADMINISTRATIVE COURT Royal Courts of...10Mar
The government’s improper campaign against one solicitor follows years of disdain for access to justiceThe Guardian tabloid, Tuesday 10th March 2015. The Guardian online, Monday 9th March 2015: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/09/guardian-view-assault-on-human-rights-law
... We have enormous sympathy and the greatest respect for those who have acted with such determination and industry on behalf of the claimant ... the case has been conducted with great skill and very considerable restraint and economy ...
... We cannot part with this case without paying tribute to the claimants' legal advisers who, although greatly outnumbered by the Secretary of State's legal team, have persisted with their requests for disclosure skilfully and with commendable determination.
… All that is then necessary to say before leaving this appeal is that in my view the claimants’ lawyers, and particularly Mr. Phil Shiner, have rendered a valuable public service in bringing forward their clients’ claims and prosecuting them with such conspicuous skill and vigour.
PIL is an extraordinary firm of solicitors, who must be - certainly should be, the pride of the legal profession ...